We’ve been talking a lot lately about exterior or replacement entry doors, and with good reason. Here in Minnesota, with our sometimes harsh and severe weather, doors on the outside of a home can take a beating. And if you’ve lived here in the Twin Cities for any amount of time, you probably already know the importance of having good doors to keep Mother Nature out.
So how do you know whether it’s time to replace your doors? That’s a good question. A professional replacement door contractor like our company could give you an inspection and let you know, but here are some things you can check on your own.
Signs Your Entry Doors Need Replacing
- Door is difficult to operate. If you need to tug on your door to open it because it’s sticking, this is a problem that’s only going to get worse. It’s especially prevalent with wood doors, but it can happen with other materials as well. Several things may cause this, including warping of the door and/or frame. You can also check the frame for scraping marks – these indicate the door no longer fits the way it should.
- Door won’t stay closed without being locked. This is a more obvious problem, and replacing the lock usually won’t take care of it. When a door gets to this point, it means it that either the door or frame or shrunk so much that the door no longer fits snugly in its opening. Again, it’s time for a door replacement.
- The door shows signs of weather damage. Entry doors that aren’t protected by storm doors can sustain damage from rain, snow, or hail and sometimes even wind-driven dirt or sand. If your door is wood, precipitation will cause not only stains on the surface but also swelling of the door. In that case it will no longer fit well in its opening.
- The door has broken hardware. Broken locks and hinges that sag or are broken definitely impact the function of a door. Sometimes new hardware is the answer, but if the underlying cause is the door itself, it could be time for a new door. A replacement door company can evaluate it for you.
- Your door just looks bad. An entry door that’s been scratched up or dented may work fine, but how it looks is important to a major factor in the perceived value of a home – curb appeal. How our home looks affects you and your neighbors, and if you’re thinking of selling your home any time soon, how our entry doors look is extremely important.
- Your doors look outdated. If your doors look old and you’re aiming for a fresh, new look for your home’s exterior, one of the easiest ways to do that is by replacing your exterior doors – especially the front door – with a more modern style door.
There are several other reasons as well, including damage from insects or rodents and air leakage. If you’re concerned about whether your entry doors will hold up to another Minnesota winter, give us a call today. We install quality, energy-efficient replacement doors from companies like ProVia in the entire Minneapolis and St. Paul metro area, including outlying communities like Farmington and Faribault.