As a Minnesota licensed home improvement contractor installing siding here in the Twin Cities, we offer a variety of siding materials. The two most popular siding lines we carry and install are fiber cement siding from The James Hardie Company® and CraneBoard® vinyl siding from Exterior Portfolio. For the most part, Hardie siding remains our first recommendation for homeowners, but at times vinyl siding might be a better choice. We hope the following information might be helpful if you’re trying to make up your mind for your home.
Vinyl Siding vs. Hardie Fiber Cement
One of the first things to consider is your priorities for your siding product. While both of these siding materials are great quality, one may be better than the other in certain aspects:
- Energy efficiency: Since the CraneBoard® vinyl siding we install is insulated, it is a better option if your main concern is reducing heating and cooling costs. Depending on which style you choose, you could realize nearly a 20% increase in R value.
- Environmentally friendly: Hardie siding is considered a ‘green’ siding product, being manufactured from natural resources like silica sand and cellulose fibers.
- Durability: In this case, it’s a toss-up. Both are very strong and both products come with excellent warranties.
- Flame retardance: On this point, fiber cement wins hands down. Vinyl siding will melt from flames coming close to it, and it is flammable. On the other hand, due to its fire resistance, Hardie siding when installed on a home can result in a homeowner’s insurance premium discount
- Installation cost: Vinyl siding is less costly to install.
- Maintenance: Though both siding products require very little maintenance other than occasional cleaning, Hardie siding will eventually need to be repainted. How soon depends on whether you order your siding preprimed and have it painted on site or choose the ColorPlus® finish, which will last far longer than typical paint jobs.
Which siding would be better for your home? That usually isn’t a simple question to answer. But we would be happy to meet with you in your home and review the benefits and costs of each siding material and help you to make an informed choice. Why not contact us today to arrange an appointment? We install both vinyl and fiber cement siding in the Minneapolis area.