Is your home as safe as it could be? You want to protect your family from any burglars that might find themselves in your neighborhood and looking for an easy target. Some people choose to install a home security system, but one of the best ways to remedy this situation is to make your home a hard target to hit.
According to the Household Burglary report that was released by the US Department of Justice, there were over 2,8000,000 burglaries in 2011 alone, only 44% of these required the burglar to actually force their way into the home. The other percentage was when the burglar could actually just walk in and do what they wanted. You do have a choice on how easy or hard you make it for someone thinking of burglarizing your property.
Follow some of these simple steps to ensure that the home you have is safer.
- The windows should have locks on them. A lot of times burglars will go through the windows, since these tend to be an easy way to get in and out without being noticed. Install window locks or window stops in order to prevent the window from being opened. One of the most reliable locks for windows out there is the key sash lock. There is a lock on the side of the window frame that is not able to be opened without the key. They are not good to use in bedrooms however, in case emergencies happen. There are numerous other locks and stops as well.
- Safety window tint on the windows can be an added measure. A lot of times the burglar will break through the glass on locked windows to get in. The tint will make the glass harder to shatter since it is made from metalized coatings and polyester to create a protective barrier. They might get through it, but it is going to take them awhile.
- Install steel doors on your home. If there are wood or even plastic doors throughout your home then you might have a problem with security. Thieves can kick their way through these types of doors to get inside the home. However, a steel door can be a problem when it comes to getting through it.
- Improve your sliding glass doors throughout the home. If the door can be easily popped right out of the frame, then this is going to have to be replaced. You want to either put in a regular door or add a metal pole to the slider on the door to ensure that the door is not able to be moved or popped out of place.
- Have a home security system installed in your home to ensure that you know everything that is going on. You do not want anything to happen while you’re away – or while you’re home so making sure that the system is engaged at these times can be a good thing to have.
Speak with us at Window Outfitters to learn more about the safety of your doors and windows. We can help you select secure hardware when you arrange for installation of new replacement windows in Minneapolis. Choosing the right home improvement products can help prevent burglars from entering your property.