With the warm weather here up on us, you are probably opening and using your windows more than ever before. This is a good time of year to enjoy the fresh air, but it is also important to note any window safety issues when it comes to protecting your family throughout the entire year from things that may happen. Here are year round window safety tips to help educate you on the importance of having window safety in your home.
Window Safety Issues
In the spring and summer months, more window falls are recorded than other months in the year. The screens in windows are able to keep bugs out but will not stop someone from falling through the window. This is why keeping children away from open windows is so important during these months. They should play in other areas where there are no windows, or they should be supervised at all times around windows. Around 3,300 injuries and 8 deaths occur each year due to children, aged 5 and under, falling out of the windows of their home.
In addition to fall prevention, be aware of using windows in the event of a fire emergency. Pella – one of our manufacturing partners – has provided these important window safety tips to help protect everyone:
- Screens in windows will not prevent a fall from happening. They are there to keep bugs out and allow ventilation throughout the home.
- Use window guards or fall prevention devices that are approved through the American Society of Testing and Materials.
- Keep items that children can climb on (such as couches, beds, dressers and other stands) away from any windows
- Make sure that children play away from balconies and windows while inside the home.
- When there are young children in the home that is equipped with double-hung windows, consider opening the top for ventilation instead of the bottom.
- Cords that come with blinds or shades are tempting for children to play with. Put these cords up so that they are not tempted. You can install hardware on the wall next to the window to pull the cord up out of reach. A great alternative – Pella offers a number of options for their windows which provide the user with added safety – the blinds and shades that are installed between the glass panes and opened and closed with a sliding lever. That means no cord danger.
- Plant soft trees and bushes under windows that would be used as escape routes. This allows for a softer, easier fall out of the window if it becomes necessary to jump.
- Always do a clutter sweep throughout the home during spring cleaning. You want to make sure any tripping hazards are out the way. You do not want to block doors, balconies or windows.
- Children should not jump on furniture such as beds, couches and other items by windows because this can be dangerous. It might surprise you the number of falls that happen because children accidentally bounced out of an open window.
- Let the older children know about the hazards of falling out of windows and tell them to stay away from them, so the younger children are able to follow by example.
Window Outfitters are proud to install Pella windows as well as windows from other top-qualithy manufacturers in Twin Cities area homes. We are a Minneapolis replacement window company that takes pride in the windows that we are able to offer to those looking for additional safety in their homes. Check out our Pinterest Window Styles board for a look at just some of the beautiful choices available. To find out more about these beautiful and secure window options, give us a call today. (952) 746-6661.